8 Personality Traits of Successful Business Owners
Have you ever wanted to own your own pool hall, start a billiard product, pool clothing line or become a professional pool player? There are certain types of qualities you should possess in order to be successful at any of these careers or something similar. As you read through our list, see if it is something that you think you are good at or areas you could work on. Of course, not everyone is going to possess every quality listed (if you do, it might be time to start your own business)!
1. Personable, Outgoing, a People Person. You have to be able to sell your product, yourself, your business. Having a good social network can help tremendously when you're starting your own business. This is the first group you reach out to for customers, followers and advocates of your brand. Networking will be a big piece of bringing in new business.
2. Driven, Motivated, Confident. You have to believe in your product, business, yourself in order to be successful. If you are having a slow month, you need to think outside the box and be creative to get yourself out of the slump. Think positive.
3. Risk Taker and Proactive. Quitting your job and starting your own business is risk #1. Some would call this the ultimate risk, but should definitely be a calculated one. After that, you have to be able to make big (calculated) decisions if you want to have a profitable and successful company. As they always say...you may have to spend some money to make money.
4. Good with Numbers. You have to be able to keep up to date with your financials or hire someone who can because this is one of the most important pieces about being a small business owner. You need to know what kind of profits you are bringing in, what works, what doesn’t. Money management. This way you know what you should change, where to spend your marketing dollars, who your target customer is and where to find them, you name it! Keep this piece of your business organized, always.
5. Goal Oriented and Future Focused. Set obtainable goals for yourself and your company. Reach them, celebrate and then set new ones. Be future focused and make decisions based on the future of your company.
6. Passionate. Love what you do, who you are, what you sell and everyone else will too. Passion and energy are easy to see. Having your own business requires a lot of time and effort, so do something that makes you happy.
7. Leadership. Whether you are a one person show or have a team of 10+ employees, you need to be a leader in your industry and lead your team to success. You want everyone to look to you for direction, this shows you are knowledgeable, successful and people want to learn from you.
8. Honest and Humble. Successful business owners are honest and have integrity. Who wants to buy low quality from the bad guy...no one. Be honest and humble about your successes with your customers and yourself and you will maintain a good image. Celebrate your successes and those of the people in your company, but always remember to remain humble.
What traits do you possess that help you run your small business? After reading our list, are you inclined to start your own business? Tweet us @TheDelta13.